- Replace mandatory sentencing laws with more flexible and individualized sentencing guidelines.
- Strategically reduce “three-strikes” laws for non-violent offenders.
- Relax Truth-in-Sentencing thresholds
- Organize against prison gerrymandering to ensure that low-income communities—and particularly communities of color—receive a fair portion of federal aid.
- Make full employment a domestic policy goal.
- Eliminate the use of for-profit, private prison companies.
- Fund prison education programs and incentivize inmate participation.
- Provide incentives for employers to hire “ex-convicts.”
- Suspend “Operation Streamline.”
- Support community policing efforts.
|Dr. Patricia Simples and Cook County President Toni Preckwinkle|
at The Next Movement forum/panel discussion
Treating Drug Abuse as a Public Health Issue, Not a Crime